Palmer man saves his business from flames with quick action

  • Source: KTUU-TV NBC 2 Anchorage
  • Published: 03/12/2019 12:00 AM

A structure fire in Palmer might have claimed a man's business had he not acted quickly and choked the flames by closing the door to his commercial building. According to John Beebe with Central Mat-Su Fire, crews responded to a commercial building fire around 5 p.m. Monday. When they arrived on scene, the owner of Cache Camper Manufacturing, Inc., had contained the flames inside the building. "He opened the door, realized that it was charged with smoke, and immediately shut the door, which is undoubtedly what saved the building," Beebe said. Central Mat-Su Fire put out the small flame and vented the structure. The building only suffered minor damage. Beebe says this serves as an important reminder to all property owners who find themselves in similar situations. "What we really want to reinforce to people is fire requires oxygen, obviously, to burn," Beebe said. "So, if they are closing the doors to those fires, it's going to limit the oxygen that the fire receives, which keeps the fire in check until our arrival."


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe