Kasaan home destroyed in fire

  • Source: KRBD-FM 105.3 Ketchikan
  • Published: 07/10/2024 12:00 AM

A Kasaan family lost their home to a fire on Monday. No one was hurt in the blaze. The residents of the home – a mother, her two children, and 8 pets – managed to escape successfully. Village Public Safety Officer Zach West said they responded to the fire around 4 p.m. By the time they arrived, the fire had already spread under the floorboards and almost fully engulfed the home. “[The house was] right on the ocean, and we have a southeast wind that blows in that direction, basically right into that house. And so we had a reasonable amount of wind that pushed that fire pretty quick,” said West. According to the VPSO, the cause of the fire hasn’t been confirmed, but the resident said in a GoFundMe fundraiser that it started unexpectedly from a cigarette ember.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe