Emergency crews were called to the Birmingham City Hall to investigate a gas smell.
Firefighters were called to city hall just before 5:00 p.m.
Battalion Chief Sebastian Carrillo of the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service says a natural gas main break happened less than a block away from City Hall, and is the source of the smell.
Fire crews were going through Birmingham City Hall floor by floor to make sure all is fine in the building.
Battalion Chief Carrillo says there is no danger from the main break.
About 5:40 p.m., an all clear was given at city hall.