Arkansas News
CHANGE STATE

Friday, February 21, 2020

North Little Rock firefighters discuss dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning


A deadly gas that you can't see, or smell: carbon monoxide. it killed four people this week in a North Little Rock home after police believe they had stolen a generator and were using it indoors. Firefighters say generators should never be used indoors. This means not inside a house, basement, or even in a detached garage. However, generators are far from the only thing that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. The North Little Rock Fire Department said cooking equipment being left on, your vehicle running, or even your heating if it's gas-powered. One way people can get poisoned is by leaving their car running in the garage to warm it up on a cold morning. This, NLRFD said, can prove to be deadly for two reasons. First, is gas poisoning. And, secondly, if the gas doesn't kill you, it can affect your brain function when you start driving, similar to drinking alcohol and getting behind the wheel.
KTHV-TV Little Rock


Thursday, February 20, 2020

Structure fire at old Jacksonville elementary school


According to Jacksonville police, an old Jacksonville elementary school ignited in flames Wednesday afternoon. Police say the school has been vacant for several years and the school district does not own the building. The city leased it from the Pulaski County Special School District. Jacksonville Mayor Bob Johnson said the building is on the national historic registry. The city had plans to rehab it and make it part of a historic city tour. The other old elementary school building next door the city plans to turn into a senior center was not harmed. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time, but the mayor believes everything is under control. "Our fire department is real good and I don't think there's a concern now," Mayor Johnson said. "I think they've got it under control and it'll be okay."
KTHV-TV CBS 11 Little Rock

Mandeville Volunteer Fire Department receives new pumper tanker


The Mandeville Volunteer Fire Department now has another weapon to fight fires. A new pumper tanker was purchased from another volunteer fire department in Maryland for $18,000. State Fire Chief Travis Loehr said the department now has two pumpers in service, but the newest addition can hold 1500 gallons. He said that as more businesses locate to the area, more fire protection is needed. “Having two pumpers responding with enough gear on both of them to fight large commercial fires is why we bought the second truck.” Loehr said they plan to upgrade the department’s older pumper truck.
KTAL-TV ArkLaTex

Washington County: Sales Tax Increase On Ballot For Emergency Communications System


Washington County voters will see a proposal for a .25% sales tax increase to pay for an emergency communications system on March 3 primary ballots. Washington County Quorum Court voted to place the question on the ballot at its Dec. 19, 2019, meeting. Police and fire officials in Farmington, Prairie Grove and Lincoln have all come out in support of the tax and are asking voters to approve the tax as a temporary way to pay for a new system. The question on the ballot asks voters to cast a ballot either for or against a .25% tax that would be in effect for only 12 months. County officials estimate the tax would raise more than $10 million to pay for a new system that is estimated to cost around $8.5 million. John Luther, emergency management director, said he wants voters to understand the need to upgrade the emergency communications system used throughout the county.
Washington County Enterprise Leader - Metered Site







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe