Dog suspected of knocking on stove knob ignites Santa Rosa home fire

  • Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
  • Published: 11/08/2018 02:57 AM

A 4-year-old husky named Yuri started a kitchen fire that nearly killed him and damaged the family home Tuesday in west Santa Rosa, fire officials said. Firefighters found the dog unconscious from smoke inhalation and had to resuscitate it with a canine breathing mask. Yuri likely knocked on a gas stove knob when jumping up with its front paws, possibly to get some food, fire officials said. The low flame ignited a nearby stack of papers, said Quang Pham, Santa Rosa fire investigator. When William and Donna Taylor and their teen son arrived home at 3:40 p.m., they found their two-story Lodi Street house full of smoke. Both adults tried to go into the home to get their dog but had to turn back due to the thick smoke, Santa Rosa Fire Capt. Steve Suter said. Firefighters arrived within five minutes and found the family out front frantic. As crews set up hoses and started the firefight, Suter went inside to search for the dog.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe