Fairfield First Responders Treated For Gas Inhalation From Lithium Batteries At House Fire

  • Source: KOVR-TV CBS Sacramento
  • Published: 06/09/2019 06:47 PM

Six first responders are recovering after a house fire in Fairfield turned into a hazardous materials incident. The incident happened on Saturday around 5 p.m. when firefighters responded to a house fire in the 1700 block of Ashtree Court. When firefighters arrived, they found the garage fully involved in flames. While fighting the fire, firefighters found 200 pounds of lithium batteries in the garage. Due to heat from the fire and exposure to water, the batteries started giving off fluoride gas, according to a Fairfield Fire Department statement. The Solano County Hazmat team came to the scene and rendered the area safe. In all, three firefighters, three police officers, and a resident were taken to the hospital because of exposure to the gas. A fourth firefighter was taken to the hospital to be treated for a back injury. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe