A Granite Bay mansion caught fire Wednesday afternoon, destroying the roof and leaving one family without a home.
Scott Miller lives across the street from the 3,500-square-foot home on Shelborne Drive. “Your eyes don’t believe what you’re seeing,” Miller said. “The whole roof was engulfed. Massive flames. It was heartbreaking. Really sad.”
South Placer Fire District spokesperson Jason Brooks says no one was inside when more than 30 firefighters and at least three departments moved in on the mansion.
“It’s a big house,” Brooks said. He said the size of the structure made it a tough fight for crews.
“It’s an area with big houses, a single lane road right where the house is, that adds to the complexity of getting more engines in here,” Brooks said.