Sky Lanterns cause concerns for Porterville Fire Department after house almost catches fire

  • Source: KMPH-TV FOX 26 Visalia
  • Published: 11/29/2022 12:00 AM

A Sky Lantern was seen on fire floating above houses in Porterville dropping flames on a home's roof Sunday night. Porterville Fire Department is now warning the public to not use these types of lanterns as they can be highly flammable and dangerous. On Sunday evening Porterville resident April Cleveland recorded a video on her cellphone of a Sky Lantern completely engulfed in flames dropping fire on the roof of a house. It is reported the homeowner put the fire out with a water hose before any damage was done. A Sky Lantern, also known as a Chinese Lantern is a small hot air balloon made of paper, with an hole at the bottom where typically a candle on the inside will suspend the lantern in the air with heat.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe