A gas odor in the science lab of a city school caused the school’s evacuation Wednesday afternoon as firefighters investigated, officials said.
Multicultural Magnet School at 700 Palisade Ave. was evacuated around 12:30 p.m. after a report of an odor of gas, according to Scott Appleby, director of emergency management/communications and homeland security.
Firefighters responded to the school to investigate. Around 2:10 p.m., Appleby said firefighters found there was no source for the odor. He said students were able to return to classes.
Earlier reports from the city indicated the evacuation and investigation was at the High Horizons Magnet School, which is on the same campus as Multicultural Magnet School. Appleby said the initial caller indicated the odor was at High Horizons.