An explosion from an accidental fire at a Union County home killed one woman and injured four others Tuesday afternoon.
The Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner told FOX 5 the fire happened around 1 p.m. at the home on the 500 block of Vista Circle in Blairsville. According to officials, the explosion happened when an elderly couple attempted to light the kitchen stove in the camper they were using as their home. The couple did not know that the propane gas line was disconnected.
“Because of the explosion, the wife received burns on over 90 percent of her body, and the husband also received very severe burns,” said Commissioner John F. King. The husband and wife were both airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital, where the wife died overnight.
Three neighbors also received lesser burns while trying to rescue the couple from the fire.