Damage to a duplex gutted by an early morning fire in Waipahu Thursday was estimated at more than $300,000, according to a Honolulu Fire spokesman.
Damage to the home at 94-832 Awanei St. was estimated at $305,000 to the structure and $15,000 to its contents. Capt. Scot Seguirant, spokesman for the Honolulu Fire Department, said the structure did not have any working smoke alarms.
The cause of the fire is still pending. The fire occurred at about 2 a.m., forcing two men to escape their residence.
Resident Robert Morano of unit H said he was sleeping in his living room when he woke up and observed flames outside emanating from the adjacent unit G and winds fanning the fire toward his home.
Residents of unit G were on vacation in the Philippines and scheduled to return to Hawaii the day the fire broke out.
“I told my brother get out of the house. The house is burning,” Morano said.
His younger brother, Jubert Morano, saw flames under the eaves as he and his brother ran out of the duplex.