Ryan Lager, who works for the Honolulu Fire Department, came into the Ke Alaka‘i office for the routine fire safety checks that happen periodically on the BYU–Hawaii campus. Upon inspecting the office, he suggested moving the microwave because it was plugged into an extension cord. He said it was a necessity to have the microwave plugged into a direct outlet to reduce the fire hazard.
According to the Red Cross website, home fires claim seven lives every day, but this can be prevented by following simple fire prevention steps, such as being sure the smoke alarm is working properly and having a proper escape plan.
Cris Bartolome, from Honolulu, has been the fire captain for the Honolulu Fire Department about one year, and he said he decided to pursue a career in firefighting because of his passion for helping others.
“I like to help people and seeing them do well. The adrenaline and excitement of firefighting was too intriguing to pass up, as well as the different experiences that I knew I couldn’t have in an office.”