Fire erupts from bedroom of Waterloo duplex

  • Source: Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier
  • Published: 02/07/2019 07:39 PM

Fire erupted from an upstairs bedroom at a Waterloo duplex after a mattress ignited Thursday night. The smoldering fire at 534-536 Western Ave. flashed over as firefighters entered the building. There were no injuries. The upstairs resident apparently caught the bed on fire around 7 p.m. Thursday, and he attempted to extinguish it by dousing it with snow scooped up from outside, said Battalion Chief Michael Moore with Waterloo Fire Rescue. When the snow didn’t work, he went to a neighbor to call 911. “Just seconds after we got here, the fire intensified and flashed out the window,” Moore said. “They were just making entry, started pulling the hose and that’s when it flashed.”


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe