Neighbors credited a coordinated response from area fire departments with preventing a fire in the 100 block of Main Street from spreading throughout the block.
Sara Williams, who owns a salon across the street, said the fire began early Tuesday morning. She no longer lives in Hedrick and saw the still-smoldering remains when she arrived at work.
“I was shocked when I came in,” she said.
Everyone in the building that burned and the neighboring apartments made it out safely. Dr. Michael Comstock’s home and chiropractic office is a block north of the fire. He helped make sure everyone got safely out of the buildings.
“Once we did that, we just got back and stayed out of the way,” he said.
The Hedrick Fire Department called on help from departments in Ottumwa, Sigourney and Keota.