A potentially deadly cloud of hydrogen sulfide gas that developed near a well Monday afternoon sent two people to a hospital.
The incident happened at about 1:15 p.m. in Lytton.
Both men, one of whom had briefly stopped breathing, were taken to Loring Hospital in Sac City. A report on their conditions was not available Monday evening.
A crew from Sargent Drilling, of Carroll, was injecting 110 gallons of hydrochloric acid into the well when a chemical reaction occurred, according to Fort Dodge Fire Chief Steve Hergenreter. He said a large cloud of what was later identified as hydrogen sulfide was created.
A worker in the well building was overcome by the gas, Hergenreter said. One of his co-workers went into the building and pulled him out.
Hergenreter said the worker who was overcome was not breathing when he was pulled from the building.