Payette Fire Department: Grease fire provides learning opportunity for community

  • Source: Argus Observer
  • Published: 02/18/2021 12:00 AM

At 2:27 p.m. on Monday, two units of the Payette Fire Department responded to the scene of a residential fire at 504 N. 9th Street. According to Fire Chief Steve Castenada, the blaze started in the kitchen as a stovetop grease fire. “It spread thru out the kitchen when the occupant attempted to extinguish the fire with water,” wrote Castenada in an email Tuesday. He said the kitchen was a total loss but reported there were no injuries to the occupant or fire personnel. He added that the department has responded has responded to approximately eight grease fires to the best of his knowledge. To help the public understand how to avoid spreading grease fires, Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician William Hewitt shared expertise on the subject. “In general, adding water to a grease fire only spreads the flames and increases the surface area where the grease spreads to and thus further increases the spread of the fire,” said Hewitt. “Basic chemistry shows us that oil floats on water.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe