PHOTO: A malfunction in a portable pressure washer is the likely cause behind a fire that destroyed a large shop building — and all of its contents — in Tuesday's fire in the Sunnyside area, Northside Fire officials said.
The building — and all of its contents were destroyed in the fire, Brad Mitton said. While an exact estimate of the damage from the fire isn't known, the Northside Fire chief estimated that it could cost as much as $500,000 to replace the 40-foot by 72-foot building.
"It's a terrific loss," Mitton said. I mean it's just terrible."
Mitton said a worker was outside near the building when he heard an explosion. The man ran inside and attempted to put the flames out with a fire extinguisher.
"It just wasn't enough and he said it then just took off and it did, too," Mitton said.
Crews were notified of the fire about 5:23 p.m. and were able to respond within 10 minutes, thanks in part to crews happening to be outside near the truck with their gear.