The Idaho Falls Fire Department has recently responded to fires that were caused by heating and/or electrical-related issues and reminds people of the following safety information:
Smaller portable heaters should be operated according to the owner’s manual and shut off when leaving the area. Children, animals and anything that can burn such as blankets and curtains should be kept at least 3 feet away from the heat source. When using a space heater, it is recommended that only one heater be plugged into a GFCI outlet at a time. The heaters should not be used with an extension cord. "We've seen several instances where people are using space heaters as a permanent heat source," states IFFD Fire Marshal Scott Grimmett. “Space heaters should only be used as a temporary heat source and are unsafe for prolonged periods. Using them throughout the home as a permanent heat source in place of regular utilities may overload the circuit and is dangerous,” explains Grimmett.