A hazmat team had to be called to a medical facility Wednesday afternoon in Braintree, Massachusetts, for an accidental chemical spill, according to fire officials.
Firefighters responded to Harvard Vanguard on Grossman Drive just after noon for the reported spill of phenol inside one of the surgery rooms, authorities said.
Phenol is a drug that fire officials said, when airborne, can cause a burning sensation.
Workers inside the building had tried cleaning up the spill with a mop and bucket and it ended up spreading to the building's basement, authorities said. Due to the spill, patients and employees on the first floor of the facility were evacuated and the area was ventilated. Authorities then decided to evacuate the entire building.