The Fire Department quickly snuffed out a dryer fire before it extended into a Summit Avenue home Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters responded a little after 1 p.m. to a single-family home at 13 Summit Ave. for a fire that was called in as a dryer fire and possible structure fire.
Fire Chief John Pansecchi said the department was out on another call when the Summit Avenue report came in. He said the assistant chief was first on the scene.
"We showed up, there was smoke coming out of the back door and we thought it was in the structure," he said. "Manpower was an issue to start with. I was doing double duty as command and operating the truck and running supplies but we got inside quick and knocked the hell out of it."
Pansecchi said Cheshire and Clarksburg were alerted along with North Adams Fire Department.