Vets, formerly homeless displaced in downtown Brockton fire

  • Source: Brockton Enterprise
  • Published: 10/06/2019 11:42 AM

Veterans and formerly homeless people were among the 32 people temporarily displaced as a result of a kitchen fire in downtown Brockton on Saturday night, according to the Fire Department and a nonprofit that oversees the facility. A fire broke out at Jeff’s Place, a three-floor supportive housing facility at 26 Spring St., at 8:38 p.m., filling the building with smoke, said Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Galligan. The building is located next door the MainSpring homeless shelter in the downtown area, and it is run by the same nonprofit, Father Bill’s & MainSpring. “We found a kitchen fire that extended to the cabinet and ceiling,” Galligan said. “The building was full of smoke.” The fire was primarily extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system, Galligan said. But firefighters had to open up the walls and cabinets to make sure the fire was completely extinguished, Galligan said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe