A 5-year-old girl was flown to a burn unit after she was injured during a fire Monday night at an apartment building on South Potomac Street in Hagerstown.
City Fire Chief Steve Lohr said that when firefighters arrived at 9:12 p.m., residents were trying to get through the front door of an apartment at 320 S. Potomac St. to free the trapped girl.
"The child could be heard yelling," Lohr said.
He added firefighters forced their way in to the home and pulled the girl to safety. She was taken to Meritus Medical Center near Hagerstown, then flown as a precaution to a burn unit at a larger trauma center.
Lohr said he didn't know the name of the hospital.