A boat fire destroyed a garage Sunday afternoon in Columbia Township.
Firefighters responded to a call for a boat fire at 3:53 p.m., Feb. 28, in the 8200 block of Wolf Lake Road, Columbia Township Fire Chief Scott Cota said. While en route, firefighters learned the boat was inside a garage.
Smoke was coming out of the garage and the boat was on fire inside the building when the first firefighters arrived on scene, Cota said. The fire was put out with a quick knockdown and great collaboration between the responding departments, Cota said. Part of the roof on the garage collapsed and the building will be a total loss, but it is still standing.
An electrical short in the boat’s battery likely started the fire, Cota said.
No one was injured in the fire.
Liberty Township Fire Department, Napoleon Township Fire Department and Lenawee Community Ambulance assisted at the scene.