Monroe County boy, 12, killed in garage fire

  • Source: The Detroit News
  • Published: 06/20/2022 07:56 AM

A 12-year-old boy died in a fire early Monday, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said. Firefighters with the Summerfield Township Fire Department and sheriff's deputies were called at about 1:30 a.m. Monday to a home at 106 W. Walnut in Petersburg for reports of a fire with a person trapped inside, according to authorities. They found a free-standing garage engulfed in flames. People at the home were trying to get inside the garage to rescue a person. Firefighters got into the garage and found a 12-year-old boy's body in the garage's bathroom, officials said. Deputies identified the boy as Malaki Christian Giles, a student at Summerfield Schools.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe