New Year's Day house fire displaces 10 people in St. Cloud

  • Source: St. Cloud Times
  • Published: 01/01/2019 01:15 PM

A New Year's Day fire displaced 10 people and damaged a St. Cloud home Tuesday. The St. Cloud Fire Department responded to a building fire shortly after noon Tuesday at 206-19½ Ave. N. Battalion Chief Greg Newinski said the fire marshal determined a dryer caused the fire in a basement laundry room. Everyone was able to get out of the home safely, but the fire displaced 10 residents. Newinski said the Red Cross worked with the family to find them temporary housing. A person passing by helped several people who were displaced and allowed them to stay in the passer-by's truck, Newinski said, to get them out of the cold. Newinski said he does not know who the person is, but he wanted to formally thank the person for helping. The home suffered extensive flame and smoke damage, about $60,000 worth, Newinski said. The basement will likely need to be gutted, but he expected the home could be salvaged.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe