A neighbor saw flames and warned a homeowner Sunday night, Jan. 6, in Sylvan Township that his garage was on fire.
The detached wooden garage and its contents were a total loss, Pillager Area Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Tom Youngblom said. No one was injured. Youngblom said crews made sure the home wasn't damaged from the nearby garage fire. A power pole was charred and the homeowner reported the transformer was sparking before fire crews arrived. Power lines were down at the scene, but Youngblom said they were not in the way of responding firefighters. The mobile home was left without power. After the fire was extinguished, a fire truck remained on scene waiting for the power company to arrive.
The fire was reported at 6:47 p.m. on the 12000 block of 19th Avenue Southwest just off Scearcyville Drive Southwest. Thirteen firefighters responded to the scene along with a Cass County Sheriff's deputy and a North Memorial Ambulance crew.