Large fire at Johnston County business caused by cigarette, owner says

  • Source: WTVD-TV ABC Channel 11
  • Published: 11/02/2018 05:50 AM

A large fire at a Johnston County business was caused by a cigarette, the owner told ABC11 on Friday. Wimpy Byrd, how owns Byrd's Wholesale, Inc., said it was actually his cigarette that caused it. "I dropped it and the wind picked it up and nobody could see it. We've got pictures where it smothered out and then flames," he said. The fire broke out Thursday around 7:30 p.m. Captain Bentley Powell with the Smithfield Fire Department said no one was at the warehouse at the time of the fire.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe