Winston-Salem couple lose home, 30 years of memories in house fire

  • Source: WGHP-TV FOX 8
  • Published: 12/02/2019 03:41 AM

A couple now out of the hospital after losing their home in a fire in Winston-Salem. The fire started in the kitchen Saturday morning on the 1800 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. An innocent attempt to stay warm, 76-year-old Mike Smith turned on his gas stove after a neighborhood power outage left the house chilly Saturday. He says a deep fryer left on the stove started to overheat. “It burned a hole in it and caught fire and we were trying to get it out then finally ended up calling the fire department,” Smith said. His wife Linda tried putting out the fire. “It happened so quick and everything. We’re lucky. I was thinking about my husband and my animals. I wasn’t thinking about me at the time,” Linda said. Thirty years of memories, gone. Letichia Steele, their in-home care aide, was on her way to their house when the fire started.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe