‘Improperly discarded smoking material' starts Charlotte fire, causes $27K damage

  • Source: WSOC-TV ABC 9 Charlotte
  • Published: 12/07/2019 11:07 AM

“Improperly discarded smoking material” caused a house fire to erupt Saturday afternoon in Steele Creek, Charlotte Fire Department officials tweeted later that night. The damage to the home was $27,000. Charles Booker saw a small fire and some smoke at his neighbor’s home and dashed over to help. “I rang on the door, (banged) on the door till I got him (to wake up),” Booker said. (It) took me about three to four minutes to get him (to wake up).” Booker said his neighbor was downstairs. By then, the flames were shooting from the roof of the home. “I'm glad I was here to wake him up,” Booker said. The man and his dog safely escaped the inferno. “Just lucky I was home,” Booker said. It took 32 firefighters under 25 minutes to control the fire. No one was hurt.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe