An explosion damaged part of an Edgecombe County building where inflatable swimming products are manufactured after a propane tank inside the facility ignited Monday afternoon, police said.
No one was hurt during the blast at the building that houses Spongex Foam Manufacturing, a division of Swimways Corp., which is located at 30002 Anaconda Road, police Chief Jesse Webb confirmed to WRAL News.
Police said firefighters were called to the facility shortly before 3:30 p.m. after a fire alarm was activated.
According to the company's website, the Virginia Beach-based firm makes inflatable products for swimming pools
When firefighters arrived, they found a blaze inside the building had spread to a forklift, prompting employees to evaucate the building.
Police said a propane tank on a fork lift ignited, damaging a 50-foot section of a wall inside the building.