Fire damages Newton boarding house; forces more than 20 residents out

  • Source: Hickory Daily Record
  • Published: 07/08/2019 08:23 AM

More than 20 residents of a boarding house in Newton are in need of new accommodations this morning after a fire damaged the building. Newton Fire Chief Kevin Yoder said the fire was contained to a single upstairs room at the boarding house but noted the entire building suffered damage from some combination of water, heat and smoke. The fire was reported just before 8 a.m. today on South College Avenue. The fire marshal is investigating but preliminary efforts suggest the fire was accidental, Yoder said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe