Belmont: Family says 15-year-old aspiring chef badly burned fighting grease fire

  • Source: WCNC-TV NBC 36 Charlotte
  • Published: 11/14/2019 06:50 AM

A teenage aspiring chef is recovering after a terrible accident involving a grease fire. Family members said 15-year-old Joshua Kellar has burns on 25% of his body after a grease fire broke out at his Belmont home. His family said he was cooking them dinner, as he always does, when the fire suddenly broke out. The teen’s mom told NBC Charlotte as soon as he lifted the lid off the pot, it exploded, and the fire spread to the floor. He was able to put it out, but he paid a big price. Photos showed the trail of grease that sparked the horrific chain of events. NBC Charlotte talked to a close family friend, Mark Tweddale, about the incident. "(He was) cooking dinner for the rest of the family when they got home from church and wanted to make fried chicken for his mom," said Tweddale.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe