Two families in Winston-Salem without home after weekend fire

  • Source: WGHP-TV FOX 8
  • Published: 11/18/2019 03:52 PM

People leaving food cooking on the stove and either forgetting it or leaving home while it cooks is one of the biggest reasons fires start. That mistake cost two families their home over the weekend in Winston-Salem. “I couldn’t imagine just losing everything in a matter of seconds,” said Rosie Verdell, the tenants’ property manager. Most of the ceiling and roof of a home on East Sprague Street in Winston-Salem now ash after a Sunday night fire. “I couldn’t imagine just losing everything in a matter of seconds. They didn’t have nothing. They were trying to recoup some clothing but it was just damaged,” Verdell said. Four adults and five children ranging in age from two to twelve lived in the home. “It really hurts my heart, you know, to see what these families have to experience,” Verdell said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe