Fire from cooking damages apartment building in Durham

  • Source: WRAL-TV CBS 5 Raleigh
  • Published: 09/07/2019 05:23 PM

A fire started by a resident cooking food resulted in some damage to the first and second floors of an apartment building in Durham on Saturday. In a press release from the City of Durham Fire Department, Acting Division Chief Leon Thomas said they got a call at 5:10 p.m. to a structure fire in the 100 block of East Cornwallis Road. Firefighters arrived and found a two-story apartment building with smoke visible from the front door. The fire was under control quickly, but there was damage to the kitchen cabinets and smoke damage on the two floors. No residents of firefighters were injured. Two adult dogs and three puppies were removed from the home. The puppies were given breathing assistance. All the dogs survived and were returned to their owner. The American Red Cross was assisting those in need.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe