Power equipment malfunction on NCCU's campus results in small fire, power outage in Durham

  • Source: WNCN-TV CBS17
  • Published: 09/10/2019 04:55 AM

A small fire next to a telephone pole in Durham was the result an equipment failure that knocked out power to 360 Duke Energy customers on Tuesday morning, officials said. Durham fire crews responded to 705 E. Lawson St., on North Carolina Central University’s campus, at 12:21 a.m. in reference to a reported transformer fire. Once on scene, crews found a small grass fire next to a telephone pole there, as well as “a large amount of oil on the ground and covering two cars,” fire officials said. An NCCU police officer told firefighters on scene that they witnessed the transformer explode. The pole was still smoldering from the explosion.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe