In light of the recent infant deaths in North Carolina as a possible result of carbon monoxide poisoning, Insurance Commissioner and State Fire Marshal Mike Causey is issuing a statewide warning: Beware of the silent killer, check your carbon monoxide alarm.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 430 people die every year from accidental CO poisoning.
Within the last week, over 100 families were evacuated from the McDougald Terrace housing community in Durham due to carbon monoxide exposure.
City officials believe two children from that housing community died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Our hearts and prayers go out to the families involved in this tragedy, especially to those whose children died,” said State Fire Marshal Causey. “What happened in Durham is a tragic reminder for all of us to understand the dangers of carbon monoxide so we can take extra precautions during the winter months.”