Smoke inside Asheville school prompts evacuation on first day back to in-person learning

  • Source: WMYA-TV MyNetworkTV 40 Anderson
  • Published: 09/29/2020 12:00 AM

Asheville firefighters responded to Oakley Elementary School in Asheville on Monday morning. Crews arrived on scene and found heavy smoke inside a classroom on the first floor shortly after 8 a.m. Asheville Fire Department Public Information Officer Kelley Klope told News 13 conditions worsened while crews were on scene. There was not a fire, but officials say the smoke was generated by a malfunction with the HVAC blower motor for room 102. Everyone in the building was evacuated for a short period of time. They have since been allowed back inside the building. Klope said maintenance personnel are at the school replacing parts. No injuries have been reported, according to officials.



Comments

We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
Highlight
ship name
no comments have been added


FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe