Third-grader honored for saving mother from kitchen fire in Beulaville

  • Source: WITN-TV NBC 7 Greenville
  • Published: 11/21/2021 11:58 AM

A third-grader was honored Friday for saving his mother’s life. A kitchen fire in Beulaville earlier this year nearly killed Shanna Washington. Fortunately, her son Daniel Bell was home too. On that June 6, Bell’s stepfather Anthony James accidentally turned the stove on the highest setting rather than off before he left their home. Bell said he was home and walking around, “like ‘what’s going on?’ And I’m in the kitchen like ‘is that a fire or something?’” He hurried to tell his mom, but she had a hard time responding. Washington suffered third-degree burns to her arms, upper chest and neck area, and was rushed to Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Chapel Hill. Staff there say they see burns from kitchen fires often.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe