A 7-year-old boy in Gaston County is recovering after a firework accident on Sunday.
Lyrik Chastain has serious burns on his arm after a firework set his clothes on fire. He’s out of the hospital now and healing with generous support from first responders.
Chastain’s parents told Channel 9's Ken Lemon when they first saw the wound, they thought he might lose his arm. His father called him a champion.
He certainly felt like a winner Tuesday when a fire truck from the Agriculture Center Volunteer Department pulled up to his home near Dallas with gifts. The presents included two gift cards totaling $1,000 to help with healing from one of the scariest days of Chastain’s life. “It was the baddest pain I ever felt,” Chastain said. His stomach, back, arms and hands are still bandaged from second-degree burns.