Man suffers smoke inhalation in Mount Airy day-care fire

  • Source: Mount Airy News
  • Published: 05/10/2022 12:00 AM

A fire at a local child-care facility Monday afternoon caused no injuries to the children, but an HVAC worker who had been using a torch there was treated for smoke inhalation. The incident was reported about 1:20 p.m. at Magical Moments Day Care at 122 Williamson Ave. in Mount Airy, located off South Franklin Road in the vicinity of the Surry Emergency Medical Service headquarters. “It happened at the worst-possible time — nap time,” city Fire Chief Zane Poindexter said of the scenario that had unfolded as the emergency situation occurred. “Every child in there was laid down for naps.” The chief credited Sharon Anthony, the director of the preschool center, and her staff for “an excellent job” in getting all the occupants out safely. They included 23 children and 12 adults.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe