Imagine thinking you are about to die in a blazing apartment fire – clutching your family close while hiding in the bathtub and quietly praying – and then hearing the sound of firefighters arriving to save you.
That's what happened to a Raleigh couple, trapped in a burning apartment last week.
When you look at the charred remains of the apartment where they lived, it's hard to believe anyone got out alive. In fact, it's hard for them to believe it.
They say they survived thanks to a couple of firefighters they call their angels. Sandra Kelly and Andres Soto spent three days in the hospital and are still recovering from smoke inhalation after flames tore through their north Raleigh apartment.
"My dad is still coughing up some soot from the fire from what he inhaled," said their son, who translated for the couple as they shared their near-death experience with WRAL News.