Nebraska News
CHANGE STATE

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Lincoln Fire & Rescue: Two house fires caused by improperly discarded fireworks


Lincoln Fire & Rescue closed out the Fourth of July and began July 5th with two house fires in southeast Lincoln. The first fire broke out around 11:15 p.m. Monday night at a home in the Fox Hollow neighborhood, southeast of 70th & Holmes Park. Battalion Chief Eddie Mueller says the fire started outside the garage, with the damage primarily being in that area. Mueller added that there’s upwards of $100,000 in damage to the home, which was caused by improperly discarded fireworks. Less than an hour later, firefighters were called to a home near 81st & Abigail around midnight on a report of another house on fire. Battalion Chief Jeremy Gegg says the fire at this home also started outside the garage area, and spread inside. A neighboring home also sustain significant siding damage.
KOLN-TV CBS 10/KGIN-TV CBS 11 Lincoln-Grand Island

Omaha fire caused by wood chips displaces multiple adults, children


Several people are displaced after a house fire on Independence Day. According to the Omaha Fire Department, crews were sent to a house fire near 13th and Kavan Street around 8:58 p.m. Monday. Crews could see heavy smoke and flames coming from the deck on arrival. The fire was under control after a short time. Everyone inside had left the building before the fire department arrived, but multiple adults and children were displaced due to the fire. Omaha Fire estimates the structure sustained roughly $25,000 in damages. The fire was believed to be caused by the disposal of wood chips from a grill.
WOWT-TV NBC 6 Omaha

Lexington Firefighter Bell Refurbished in Honor of the Late Dave Berke


In recent years, the Lexington Volunteer Fire Department has been discussing a project to refurbish the historic bell that sits in front of the fire station. The bell has moved with LVFD from various past fire station locations in Lexington. It currently sits at 6th and Tyler Streets in front of the LVFD fire station. This project was of great interest to then LVFD President Dave Berke. In the current president’s, Kent Jergensen, news release it was noted, “When Dave passed away this past January after a courageous battle with cancer it felt appropriate to refurbish the bell in his honor.” Rescue Chief Doug Glaze said the bell was in need of some repairs, a fresh coat of paint, and many people stepped up to help make that happen.
KRVN-AM 880 Lexington

Semi trailer fire closes Interstate 80 at Brule


A semi trailer on fire is being blamed for closing both lanes of Interstate 80 near Brule on Monday afternoon as 4th of July travelers were returning home from the long weekend. Traffic was already reduced to two lanes because of road construction. The Nebraska Department of Transportation announced the closure at mile-marker 117 around 3:07 p.m. They said traffic was backed up and were asking travelers to use alternative routes. Traffic was being directed to Highway 30 at Ogallala and Big Springs. One witness said traffic was backed up and at a stand still all the way back to Ogallala. A photo from Shannon Bogenhagen showed a semi trailer fully engulfed in flames with area fire departments attacking the blaze around the trailer. The semi tractor appeared to be disconnected from the trailer at the time of the fire.
News Channel Nebraska


Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Crews determine house fire in Omaha neighborhood due to fireworks thrown away


A dumpster next to an empty house caught fire in North Omaha Sunday night because fireworks were thrown away. The blaze spread to two houses in the 2500 block of Pratt Street. The vacant house got the most damage. Thankfully, no one was displaced from the fire. “My advice would be going to professional shows, leave fireworks to the professionals, we have too many injuries this time of year anyway from fireworks and careless acts that destroy property, my suggestion would be is supervise kids at all times and go to professional shows,” said Capt. Donald Dooley, Acting Battalion Chief, Omaha Fire Dept. Both M.U.D. and OPPD have responded to the fire.
WOWT-TV NBC 6 Omaha

Child dies after hotel roof collapses into pool in York


The York Police Department said a child was killed when the roof of a hotel collapsed Sunday night. It happened at the Hampton Inn in York just after 9 p.m. Officers said they arrived to the hotel to find a young boy who was "trapped inside the pool room beneath debris." They said that person was the only one trapped and that he had died. Officials said they were able to evacuate the remainder of the building and secure the area. The police department said the cause of the collapse is still under investigation and the Nebraska State Fire Marshal's Office was called to assist. "The Police Department wishes to extend our deepest condolences to the friends and family of the deceased," said a York police press release. Officers said it is still under investigation.
KETV ABC 7 Omaha

Fire damages Chadron home, lightning blamed for small wildfire near town


Chadron Fire Chief Branden Martens says a fire Monday evening significantly damaged a house two blocks north of Chadron State College. Cause of the blaze remains under investigation. No one was home when the fire was called in after heavy black smoke was seen pouring out and there were no injuries. Chief Martens says the house suffered relatively little structural damage, but that there was a great deal of damage inside from both smoke and fire – especially in the living room and an adjacent bedroom. While crews were still battling the house fire, a call came in of a wildfire south of Hwy 20 about 2 miles east of Chadron near South Slim Buttes Road. As the house fire was contained, some of those units were released to battle the wildfire – which burned about 2 acres and was caused by lightning. Crews remained on the scene overnight.
News Channel Nebraska

Omaha firefighters battle thick smoke, flames in house fire started by child, investigators say


A dog was found dead after a fire started at an Omaha home Sunday afternoon. In a news release, fire investigators said the fire started near 38th and G streets around 3:15 p.m. Crews found smoke and flames pouring from a second-story window on the front of the house. Investigators said the smoke was so thick inside it was nearly impossible to see, and they found the fire in a bedroom. Four adults and five children safely escaped. The Red Cross was called in to help. In the report, fire investigators said the fire was "accidental" and said a child playing with fire started the blaze. They added people inside the home were alerted to the fire when the smoke detector went off.
KETV ABC 7 Omaha

Fire caused by electrical issues at Norfolk home


A home in Norfolk has major damage after an early morning fire on Monday. According to Norfolk Fire and Rescue at 1:57 a.m. on July 4, the rescue team was sent to the 1200 block of West Madison Avenue for a smell of smoke in the kitchen. When crews arrived they found light smoke in the kitchen. It took approximately firefighters and 3 rigs about 30 minutes to control the fire and another 60 minutes to overhaul the structure and investigate the cause, according to NFR. The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical, it sustained $10,000 of damage to the structure and $1,000 to the contents of the home. Hadar Fire and Rescue and Norfolk Police Division assisted during the incident. No injuries were reported.
KMEG-TV CBS 14 Sioux City







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe