All occupants of a trailer home in Glenvil were able to escape safely as fire destroyed their home Wednesday morning. Two adults and one child were at home at the time of the fire. A second child was not home at the time as she was spending the night with friends. Clay County Emergency Management Coordinator Tim Lewis confirmed that all occupants were out out of the home and uninjured.
Fire officials say the family awoke to the smell of smoke and were able to immediately escape. Smoke detectors are in place in the home, but did not sound.
The fire was called in after 6:00 a.m. Wednesday to the corner of 3rd and Bruce Streets in Glenvil, which is southeast of Hastings. Smoke and flames were visible when fire fighters arrived at the scene.
A Local4 reporter on scene said members of Glenvil Rural Fire Department, Clay Center Volunteer Fire Department, Fairfield Rural Fire District and Hastings Rural Fire Department were on scene.