The Reno Fire Department has determined the cause of a fire that killed a Stead woman. About 11PM April 3, 2019, the Reno Fire Department responded to a house fire at 9755 Silver Sky Parkway. Firefighters put out the fire contained to a bedroom.
61-year-old M’Lissa Cassidy was found dead in the room. The medical examiner is still working to establish the exact cause and manner of death, but investigators have determined the fire started on the bed from lit smoking materials and was fueled by medical oxygen used in the bedroom.
A dog inside survived and was given to Animal Control.
Reno Fire Marshal Tray Palmer says this is the first fire-related fatality in Reno since 2017. “In 2017, we had three fire-related deaths, one of which was also caused by smoking with the use of medical oxygen,” he said.