Cigarette's other health hazard: House fires

  • Source: NY Journal News (
  • Published: 04/15/2018 11:46 AM

In October, a 58-year-old Ossining woman died after fire officials said a lit cigarette ignited a blaze in her apartment at Waterview on the Hudson. Four months earlier, a three-story home on Prospect Street in Spring Valley was severely damaged in a fire sparked by a tenant smoking in an attic. This month alone, two house fires in North White Plains and a third in Thornwood were blamed on carelessly discarded cigarettes. It's an indication that cigarette smoking remains a major hazard for residents — and a serious concern for local fire officials. "It's a huge concern," said North White Plains Fire Chief Andrew Seicol. "You would hope that in 2018 we would be at a point where the public awareness would be at a level where we wouldn’t still have these types of issues. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. These are very preventable incidents.”


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe