Update: Albany fire that displaced 50 caused by cooking

  • Source: Albany Times-Union
  • Published: 10/10/2018 03:38 PM

Investigators have determined that last month's Quail Street blaze, which displaced 50 people, was an accidental grease fire caused by cooking, Albany Fire Chief Joseph Gregory told the Times Union on Wednesday. The fire was one of three that occurred between Sept. 30 and Oct. 1. In total the fires displaced 80 people and destroyed 13 buildings. The other two fires remain under investigation. Firefighters were called to Quail Street, on Sept. 30, around 4:40 a.m. The Quail Street blaze, which destroyed six buildings, displaced 32 adults and 18 children. Gregory said fire investigators have determined that the grease fire began on the second floor of 176 Quail St. when someone was cooking. "They threw water on the grease fire, to try to put it out, which is a big no-no," Gregory said. "That creates a greater flame. If you have a grease fire you should try to cover it with a pot or pan to take the oxygen away."


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe