Smoke detector may have saved lives at this Watertown home

  • Source: WWNY-TV CBS 7 Carthage
  • Published: 10/22/2020 01:59 PM

A working smoke detector may have saved lives when a small fire broke out in the duct work of a Watertown home Thursday. City firefighters were called to 916 Huntington Street shortly before 1 a.m. and were able to quickly douse the flames. Officials said a woman and her 2 children had been sleeping when the blaze broke out, smoke detectors woke them and made it possible for them to quickly escape. The Watertown Fire Department is using the incident to remind people about safety in their homes. “Smoke detectors are very important to have in the home. It’s important they be installed on every level of the home, from the attic all the way down to the basement. If there were no working smoke detectors last night, the outcome might have been a lot different,” said Captain William Bragger, Watertown Fire Department.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe