Mount Vernon's fire department union is calling out city leadership for deplorable conditions at firehouses.
"Now the rain is running through the buildings as if it’s raining inside," said Ernie Richardson, second vice president of firefighter union, Local 107.
Richardson said the roof is leaking at each of the city’s firehouses, creating mold and putting first responders health and safety at risk.
"We have to be OK to keep the public safe. If we are not OK, we can’t do our jobs," said Richardson.
He said there is also a rat infestation and lack of air conditioning in common areas at the cities temporary firehouse on South West Street.
"These are all these problems created by negligence," said Richardson.
Mayor Shawyn Patterson-Howard said she is aware of the issues at the firehouses, saying its a systemic problem happening at all of the cities buildings.