When little Jahid Mitchell walked into the Central Ohio Fire Museum and Learning Center, he was wide-eyed and ready to explore.
It was his 2nd birthday, and he was reuniting with the man who saved him from a burning home last fall.
"It’s awesome," said Columbus Fire Investigator Mike DeFrancisco. "It’s a celebration of his life, and he’s still here to celebrate that." On Aug. 23, 2018, Aleasha Mitchell saw smoke filling her home and rushed upstairs to get her children.
"Everything was — it’s kind of a blur, it’s kind of a blur," she said. "I just remember waking up in the morning and I remember lighting a candle, and that’s all I remember. And, next thing I know is, I can’t see. There’s smoke and I’m trying to figure out what just happened and how we’re going to get out."