Man who lost 3 family members in Norwalk house fire takes action to prevent another tragedy

  • Source: WJW-TV MyFox Cleveland
  • Published: 07/11/2019 03:49 PM

A family tragedy is prompting a local man to help launch a campaign to promote the importance of smoke detectors. Firefighters in Norwalk rushed to the scene of a house fire on January 26, 2018, and after putting out the blaze, discovered the bodies of the couple that owned the home and their son who was disabled. Investigators told surviving family members that it appeared 65-year old Robert Griggs died in his sleep from smoke inhalation, and that his 57-year old wife, Rebecca, died while trying to shield their 27-year-old son, James, from the intense flames. The Griggs’ eldest son, Rob, told FOX 8 News, “They found her on top of him. She was trying to protect him until her very last breath and they said that my dad had never moved; he didn't know what happened.”


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe